Our role at Witherslack Group is to give the young people who live in our children's homes a sense of security that they may have struggled to find until now. That's why job security is part of what's on offer here for you, as a Residential Support Worker. We want you to have a long-term positive impact on the young people you work with. So, making sure you feel well taken care of and confident about your future here is vitally important to us.
Do you consider yourself a real people person who is naturally caring and can quickly build relationships? If so, you'll find working for Witherslack Group as a Residential Support Worker a highly fulfilling job. Working with teenage boys and girls (who, like any others, can exhibit difficult behaviour) you'll need a special type of empathy, compassion, strength and resilience. Our homes are mixed gender and all our young people need role models they can easily relate to - someone they can build a rapport with and who can make a real difference to their lives. You'll be planning social and leisure activities, supporting domestic duties and helping with hobbies - from football to netball, musical instruments to playing video games. Or simply chatting about a whole range of topics they're interested in. Whatever they're into, you'll know how to talk to them on a level and build a relationship, so you can meet their individual needs and help create a home environment that they feel safe in. In short, it's all about your sense of wanting to build a positive experience for our young people.
The location of this role can be flexible around you; you could initially work over a small number of our homes, or focus on the location that suits you best. As you get a taste of our homes and meet more of our children, you will no doubt find your favourite home. Our homes are based in: Chorley, Leigh and Wigan.
We're looking for the kind of individual who gets along naturally with everyone, and can also say yes to the following:
• You've got the right attitude and approach, whether or not you've got previous experience in care or a similar role (although it would be advantageous)
• You're keen to complete a Level 3 Diploma for Residential Childcare (England) within two years (if you don't have it or its equivalent already) - which we'll pay for!
• You have held a full UK driving licence for at least 12 months
• You'd like to work in a place that takes issues like coronavirus so seriously, that it will not only allow you to interview by video to help keep everyone safe, but will also make sure as an employee you're taken care of financially should you fall ill and need to self-isolate
Witherslack Group are the UK's number 1 children's home provider, as judged by Ofsted (our sector regulator). We are driven to provide the very best care and education for children and young people with complex, challenging needs. We have high staff-to-child ratios and in-house clinical teams, all contributing to our reputation for excellence and enhancing life opportunities.
Are you looking for the perfect entry point or a way to grow your career in care? At Witherslack Group we support and develop our staff to build careers with us and help them progress into careers that can earn upwards of £50,000.
The benefit of doing a role like this is it feels good. Every day brings a sense of hard-won achievement and progress. There are also some outstanding rewards - in fact, our package is one of the best in the sector:
• £1,000 per annum Attendance Incentive Scheme
• 35 days' holiday (including bank holidays)
• Life Insurance based on two times your annual base salary
• We'll cover the £6,000 cost of your qualification
• Health cash plan e.g. dental, optical and physiotherapy
• 24/7 counselling service
• Cycle to Work and tax free Childcare Vouchers
If you're new to care and are not sure if it's for you, or if you'd like to get a fuller understanding of the role in general, we'd love to talk to you. You can call our Recruitment Team for an informal discussion on (phone number removed) or you can email us any questions: (url removed)
The Witherslack Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its young people. This post is subject to an Enhanced DBS Check. We are an equal opportunities employer welcoming applications from all sections of the community.
For full job description and person specification, please see the attached document