We are recruiting for a Paralegal to join the Clinical Negligence team.
You will be working in a close knit and ambitious team. You will be responsible for a wide variety of case management and client facing tasks on a number of clinical negligence/inquest cases under supervision, both assisting on team matters and running client files in your own name.
This is a busy and challenging role which offers a great opportunity for varied and rewarding client work in an interesting and important area of work.
This team are based in our Oxford office. The firm adopts a hybrid working policy combining office and remote working.
We are open to considering applications from those wishing to work almost exclusively remotely, though please note that some occasional days in the office and time spent working at hearings/conferences/etc are an essential part of the role.
* Undertake fee earning tasks to assist the team with running of a caseload and to run a number of your own files under the supervision and management of qualified lawyers, including:
1. corresponding with clients, counsel, experts and others (in writing or verbally),
2. attending court hearings and inquests,
3. reviewing and analysing case documents, including medical records
4. draft documents such as client advice, witness statements, pre-action protocol correspondence, schedules of loss, instructions to experts/counsel.
5. undertake effective legal research, using appropriate methods and sourcing, presenting the results accurately and clearly
6. undertake administrative duties associated with this role
* Working closely with clients during times of distress/bereavement and providing excellent client service
* Build and maintain effective working relationships with third parties such as experts, counsel etc
* Adhere to firm policies and business processes such as in relation to: case management, confidentiality, security, data protection and file retention and destruction requirements
* Ensure timely and accurate recording of chargeable time and billing of costs, in order to meet a financial costs target
* Ensure all work complies with risk management policies and procedures, including effective use of information management systems including storing and retrieving information
* Attend RWKG BD events where appropriate and support BD & marketing initiatives
* Take an active part in promoting the firm, whether in person or through social media and other marketing efforts
* Demonstrate proactivity and creativity by seeking and suggesting improvements
* Develop meaningful relationships based on trust and provide support to your team
* Take pride in all work that you do and seek the best outcome for your work, your team and the Firm
* Be open, inclusive and supportive of others in the Firm, both in your team and business wide
* Contribute to the team's positive working culture, seek feedback to build on skills and behaviours, set and work towards personal development goals
* Act as an ambassador for the firm at all times
* Take personal responsibility for efficient and effective case management on all matters you are tasked with.
* Make effective use of the relevant firm IT systems and to adopt a paper-lite way of working
Legal qualifications (Law degree, LLB or CILEx) - Desirable
Previous experience within a fee earning role - Essential
Previous experience of personal injury, clinical negligence and/or inquests - Essential
Excellent organisational skills and the ability to effectively prioritise - Essential
Solid understanding of Microsoft Office suite and other relevant IT platforms - Essential
Strong written and verbal communication skills - Essential
Exemplary client care skills - Essential
Ability to undertake legal work under supervision and use initiative where required - Essential
We are a progressive UK Top 100 law firm known for our commercial, private client, clinical negligence and personal injury work.
Our firm has 450 people with offices in Bath, Oxford, London, Swindon and Marlborough.
At Royds Withy King, people come first. Our brand is built around being 'Ahead of the Curve'. By this we mean always trying to put ourselves in our clients' shoes, looking ahead to the future, anticipating their needs and coming up with solutions.
We also pride ourselves on providing a brilliant place to work. We recognise that investing in our people and their career is the only way we can succeed in achieving what is best for our clients. Our friendly, accessible and supportive culture is incredibly important to us and we are continually looking at new ways to nurture and enhance it. Our people tell us that this is a firm with a flat structure, where everyone has a voice and everyone's opinions matter.
Over a number of years, we have developed a robust and transparent framework which shows you exactly what you need to achieve in order to grow your career at the firm. This isn't just about hitting KPIs.
The framework helps you to understand how your contribution and behaviours are woven together to create the basis for your progression in the firm. From Secretary to Partner, you can see exactly what is expected of you along the way