Hours: 40 hrs per week for Maternity Cover
Days of work: Monday - Friday
Overall purpose of the job:
Managing general nursery tasks, supporting the existing team and deputy manager. To create an environment that is welcoming for all parent's, children & staff.
Be motivational in approach and support the companies values.
Key responsibilities for the position:
* Ensure all rooms are operating smoothly and that children are settled, happy and have stimulating daily activities.
* Work closely with the deputy manager and the area manager to identify areas of improvement and ensure staff are increasing skills knowledge and personal development.
* Be committed to developing the nursery environment and support staff with working in line with the Foundation Phase 3 - 7 Yrs and the Development Matters for the under 3 yrs age groups.
* Show parents around the building and provide information relating to our service.
* Complete contracts with new parents thoroughly and ensure they understand the details of the main policies such as sickness, child protection, medicine and fees.
* Arrange settling ins and monitor the progress in line with the settling in policy.
* Create invoices for parents, collect fees and manage petty cash.
* Recruit new employees and provide job description, contracts and induction training.
* Ensure all staff receive the appropriate training.
* Review staff performances.
* Provide supervisions and appraisals to members of staff.
* To provide health and safety training to all staff and complete regular health and safety spot checks.
* Monitor and update risk assessments.
* Review accidents, incidents and existing injuries weekly and act on any concerning information.
* Report any serious accidents, illness, existing injuries, or incident to the Area Manager.
* Record parent concerns, and handle all concerns as priority and sensitively. Report concerns to the area manager.
* Devise staff rotas
* Responsible for Health and Safety on a daily basis.
* Responsible for administering medicine and following medicine procedures.
* Ensure there is always a named First Aider officer on duty and that all staff are aware of the nominated individual.
* Ensure all staff understand the nurseries policies and procedures and that they are being fully implemented.
* Review policies and procedures annually and ensure all staff are made aware of any changes.
* Act on complaints and follow the complaints procedure when necessary.
* Undertake practice fire evacuations every two months and record results.
* Organise outings and fun days.
* Maintain and replenish nursery resources and equipment.
* Create three monthly newsletters for parents.
* Report maintenance jobs to the director.
* Report all staff changes and significant events to the responsible individual.
* To ensure that food is purchased, stored and prepared in accordance to the requirements of the environmental health and that dietary requirements are managed. Ensure safety certificates are in place and renewed annually.
Record observations of children and staff in their groups on a weekly basis and provide constructive feedback and encourage improvements.
Ensure the building is locked and all lights and heaters are turned off at the end of each day.
Work with the team members and inform them of any procedures that are not being implemented.
Knowledge and experience required:
Must have good knowledge of child development, equal opportunities and child protection. Must be qualified to at least NVQ level 4/5 or equivalent and have over 2 years experience of working in a childcare environment.
Must have excellent communication skills and be approachable for parents, children and staff.
The job is situated in a:
Fun and friendly environment
Fast paced and highly pressurised environment
Constantly changing environment