We are looking for an experienced, dynamic and self-directed Health & Safety and Laboratory Professional to develop and manage our EHS management system, run Team's labs and equipment and support our sustainability activities.
Reporting to the Business Ops Director, they will work closely with project teams to gather user requirements, ensure effective utilisation of labs and equipment and smooth management of laboratory operations, review and advise on COSHH and risk assessments, train and promote a positive H&S and compliance culture and drive improvements to meet sustainability objectives.
This will require working closely with all members of the Business Operations group and wider company.
- Manage laboratory operations team activities and provide input and guidance on space and equipment resourcing, utilisation and allocation
- Ensure management of compressed gas, chemicals, consumables, PPE, equipment maintenance and calibration is effective
- Develop and implement H&S procedures and documentation and ensure they are fit for purpose and compliant
- Provide H&S training and advise on best practice
- Provide technical and strategic Health and Safety guidance on a range of areas such as Biohazards, Chemical or Lab Safety and overall EHS compliance
- Oversee risk assessment and assessment of chemicals and safe systems of work onsite
- Liaise with managers to ensure the timely completion of all health & safety documentation
- Perform safety inspections, investigate breaches or accidents
- Ensure that Health & Safety KPIs are collected and reported to Site Management Team as required
- Chair EHS committee and ensure actions agreed are completed in a timely manner
- Where applicable, identify and liaise with individuals requiring health surveillance due to human tissue work and other potential hazards
- Oversee ABP and controlled drugs procedures and ensure we meet licence obligations
- Drive sustainability activities within the department
- Keep up to date with legislation and best practice in this area of work
- At all times, adopt a safe behaviour by exercising due regard for the health and safety of yourself, colleagues and clients, in line with policies and procedures
- BSc in a biological or chemical subject
- NEBOSH Diploma, Grad/Tech IOSH (or equivalent)
- Significant experience in laboratory H&S and compliance
- Excellent technical competence in use of laboratory procedures, including calibration maintenance
- Experience participating in a Health & Safety and Ethics Committees
- Experienced resource manager (equipment, space and people)
- Experience in audits and inspections
- Experience in building strong collaborative relationships with employees
- Experience in working in project or R&D labs where requirements rapidly change
- Experience in working in accredited or certified organisations
- Experience in obtaining ISO14001 or ISO 45001 certification
- Experience participating in Ethics Committees
- Proficiency in SharePoint
- Experience and qualification as a Biological Safety Officer
- Experience in line management
- Experience in working in a consultancy organisation
Additional role requirements and working patterns:
- Occasional out of hours cover
- Ability to undertake manual handling duties
- This is an on-site role with minimal remote work possible.
Team values equality, diversity and inclusion in employment and recruitment. We are committed to promoting equal opportunities and an inclusive community, where our talented people respect and value the contributions, skills, and abilities of others.
We want our people to succeed on merit, treating individuals equally, including making decisions and providing encouragement and opportunities relating to recruitment, career development and retention in a fair and consistent manner.
Our aim is a workplace free from all forms of bullying, harassment or victimisation, and unlawful or unfair discrimination on the grounds of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and marriage and civil partnerships.