Head of Finance - Corporate
Sector: Local Government
Salary: Up to £675 a day (inside ir35)
Your New Role:
Our client - A North London Borough - is looking for a head of Finance to join their team. You will be tasked with the following:
- Development Finance / Project Accounting
- Design and provide development finance reports that enable the team to manage development schemes to budget and time
- Provide business partnering services to the team to ensure the project is delivering Value for Money (VfM) in all areas of scheme development
- Coordinate the development of the annual budget and quarterly reforecast
- Provide support on projects to deliver continuous improvement in the delivery of financial and management accounting
- Close the project accounts in compliance with CIPFA guidance and audit requirements. Liaise with auditors during the external audit and provide all relevant development finance / treasury information and back up
- Financial Modelling
- Review, input into and constructively challenge financial appraisals and sensitivity analysis using the new financial model
- Own the finance risk register. Understand, quantify, and report on key financial risks.
- Monitor the financial performance of each phase against initial assumptions on a monthly / quarterly basis
- Support the Head of Finance (Capital) on the production of financial information for the ten-year Capital Strategy and the Treasury Strategy
- Business Partnering
- Write the 'financial implications' section for all reports prepared by the team, including consultation with the team to challenge and verify proposed approaches, understand alternative options considered, etc
- Keep abreast of the fast-developing housing development environment and best practice, propose new and innovative financial approaches to development, undertake viability analyses, update the finance and other teams on any new approaches that can be considered
- Attendance at Project Board, Cabinet, Executive and Departmental Management Team meetings as required
Your Experience / Skills
- A CCAB accountancy qualification, or part qualified and actively studying for such a qualification.
- Experience in a LATCo is desirable
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of housing development finance
- Experience in providing advice, support and challenge on all financial aspects of a large and complex housing development
- Experience of capital budget setting, budget monitoring and closing accounts, ideally in a local authority
- Excellent commercial, numerical and analytical skills, including the ability to analyse and interpret detailed and complex financial and other information.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to present a range of complex and detailed financial and other issues to a diverse audience including councillors and senior officers and to develop and manage productive relationships with both external and internal contacts and agencies.
- Advanced IT skills in particular use of Excel, PowerPoint and word, including the ability to design, construct and interpret complex spreadsheets, business plans and financial models.