The Alan Turing Institute is the UK's national institute for data science and artificial intelligence whose mission is to make great leaps in data science and artificial intelligence research in order to change the world for the better.
The Public Policy Programme is producing high-impact research that informs the national and global conversation on AI technologies. We are looking to recruit a Full Stack Web Developer to help us build online platforms that both support and help disseminate the outputs of our research projects. The post-holder will collaborate with multiple academic researchers who work on a wide range of projects. Versatility will be key to success in this environment. The successful candidate will have a can-do attitude and be able to work alongside the researchers to deliver web platforms and applications that meet the requirements and needs of each project. Examples of projects that the post-holder will be asked to deliver include: (1) the creation of an interactive online platform that translates the Programme's research in ethics and responsible innovation into engaging content and training activities; (2) maintaining an online platform that aggregates information about AI standards from multiple sources, presents them in an easily accessible format, and allows for interactive discussions and community building exercises around the published content.
We seek to hire a professional who can take full ownership of the Programme's future online platforms and web applications, from articulating the initial concept to delivering the finished product. The post holder will work together with the graphic designer, the communication manager, and the researchers to ensure that the Programme's online content is accessible, responds to users' needs, and assists us in our academic work. The post holder will also work closely with academics and policymakers in an interdisciplinary, dynamic, and collaborative environment. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to contribute towards projects with high impact and public policy significance, which are primarily oriented towards ensuring that data science and emerging technologies such as AI work for the public good. This is not a commercially-oriented role, where you will be expected to work on projects that primarily have a profit motive.
The post-holder with report to the Public Policy Programme's Communications Manager.
DUTIES AND AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Develop online platforms and web applications to support research projects within the Public Policy Programme. This will involve working with researchers, and a graphic designer, to translate high-level project requirements into specific technical solutions.
- Steer and develop the technical specifications for a variety of high-impact projects, intended to shape and influence public policy.
- Conduct code reviews and implement unit and integration tests.
- Identify security problems and improve the security of the services.
- Develop processes for testing, automating and deploying services.
- Maintain software across the entire tech stack (UI, API, DevOps pipelines, infrastructure).
- A bachelor's degree in computer programming or other fields that provide the required knowledge and skillset for the role
- Extensive experience working as a web developer
- Excellent programming skills for both front-end and back-end web development. We will consider applicants with experience in most programming languages for web development. However, knowledge of modern frameworks, environments, and content management systems is desirable
- Excellent project management skills and ability to prioritise issues
- Experience in building scalable cloud-based solution
Please see the job description for a full breakdown of the duties, responsibilities and person specification.