Eden Brown is proud to be recruiting a Chair of the Board of Trustees at Antibiotic Research UK. Antibiotic Research UK is the world's first charity formed to tackle the increasing problem of bacterial antibiotic resistance - a problem that could reach epidemic proportions unless we act now. Our vision is to save millions of lives through integrating our various activities which are focused on researching new antibiotic treatments, educating the public about the problem and providing support to patients affected by a drug resistant infection.
Estimates of the scale of deaths from resistance suggest that today globally 700,000 people die each year. The UK death toll from antibiotic resistance is put at 5,000 deaths per annum but this is likely to be an underestimate. It has been forecast that by 2050, if we do not act now, that globally up to 10 million people will die each year from a resistant infection. Antibiotics underpin much of modern medicine there is a danger that with the rise in resistance many common treatment procedures become more risky or impossible. Certain patient groups are critically dependent on working antibiotics including cystic fibrosis patients, certain cancer patients, patients undergoing organ transplantation and patients affected by asthma and diabetes.
The main duties involve:
* Ensures the board of Trustees demonstrates the highest standards of corporate governance
* Ensures the expertise of individual Trustees is used appropriately for the benefit of the charity
* Reviews the performance of individual Trustees and ensures all Trustees are fully briefed on the terms of their appointment and on their rights, duties and responsibilities
* Ensures that board members understand their responsibility by being prepared for meetings by having considered all papers in advance
* Reviews board membership every year
* Ensures that the board maintains an appropriate blend of complementary skills and experience
* Agrees the charity's strategic objectives and undertakes the annual review of the Chief Executive, in consultation with other Trustees
The Chair ensures that the board functions effectively by:
* Chairing Trustee meetings effectively, seeking consensus, balancing the need for full debate on key questions with the despatch of business, so as to reach clear and agreed decisions
* Liaising with the Chief Executive to prepare carefully structured agendas and briefing papers for board meetings, and encouraging participation from all Trustees.
* Taking an active role in the creation and maintenance of a long-term plan to develop the board of Trustees
* Encouraging Trustees to constructively challenge the strategy and direction of the charity
You will ensure that the charity plans strategically by:
* Leading the Trustees to develop, appraise and update strategic plans and to monitor performance against such plans
* Ensuring, through the Chief Executive, that management effort is effectively directed within a framework of clearly stated corporate strategies and key tasks
The chair is critically important to the success of the charity. The person appointed
* Will be expected to spend more time externally facing than internally
* Will have good knowledge of the problem of drug-resistant infection
* Will be willing to utilise, where appropriate, their network to assist the charity to meet its objectives
* Must be prepared to be the major public face of the charity by representing the charity at functions, meetings or interviews with the media
* Should show evidence of campaigning skills and be passionate about the charity
* Should demonstrate evidence of team building
* Will have already been a charity trustee or Board member
The role of chair is unremunerated and occupies up to two days per month of a person's time. S/he chairs board meetings ensures these are held at least three times every year, at regular intervals, and liaises regularly with the Chief Executive to provide a sounding board, advice and support. This position arises as the current Chair retired at the charity's AGM in October 2019 after having served in this position since the charity's formation in 2014.
We are looking for a Chair to add to the talented team that makes up our Board. We are particularly interested in people with a background in one or more of the following - law, finance, commerce, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, policy and public affairs. The candidate should understand the role that technology is playing in transforming everything that we do. Above all we want people with the credibility and passion to make a difference. We are a national charity and our current Trustees reflect this through their geographic spread.
To apply email your CV to us. For more information contact Tony Williams ((url removed)) or Laura Iliff ((url removed)) via email. Closing date for application is Monday 14 September.
Eden Brown is committed to equality in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. Eden Brown Ltd is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy