Based in Herefordshire with significant international travel required, site based and some WFH.
My client is looking for an Automation and Controls Engineer with strong projects experience in industrial control systems who can specify, install, commission and optimise new PLC, SCADA and control / automation systems and software in various international factories.
In addition you will modify and improve current equipment and systems to ensure they are up to date, reliable and effective.
This role will involve:
- Delivering automation and control projects to specify, install and commission control systems on new plant and equipment including PLCs, HMIs and SCADA.
- Developing software improvements to include robust, clearly annotated code, easy operation, user-friendly interfaces and built-in maintainability.
- Training, trouble-shooting and technical support when a break-down / stoppage occurs.
- Developing and specifying systems with safety, environmental, HAZOP, operator safety, and local compliance in mind.
- Maintaining accurate and easy to understand control / electrical systems drawings, documentation, training and hand-over to users and technical support colleagues.
To apply for this role you should have:
- An electrical engineering background with appropriate qualifications.
- Strong technical capability working on electrical, control and automation systems from initial specification to handover and post-installation support.
- Strong technical understanding of capital equipment, plant and processes.
- PLC programming skills, ideally Siemens. Practical and technical knowledge of HMI's, SCADA and other communications protocols such as Profibus, Profinet, Ethernet etc.
- Testing and fault-finding skills.
- An up to date knowledge of electrical safety and standards.
- Good IT skills and project management techniques including costing, planning and reporting.
- Excellent communication skills at all levels.
- Professional demeanour and able to work autonomously when required.
- Ability to travel to customer sites internationally - driving license and valid Passport required.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who enjoys a varied and challenging controls projects role in the broader context of a highly successful organisation